The history of the University of Verona began in 1950, when an intellectual elite established the “Ludovico Antonio Muratori” Free High School of Historical Science.
In 1959, the Major proposed to found in Verona a University Faculty of Economics and Commerce. The new Free Faculty of Economics and Commerce was inaugurated on the 1st of November of the same year. Lessons were held inside Palazzo Giuliari (now home of the office of the Chancellor of the University). A few years later, also the Medical and Surgical section and the Legal section were established in Verona. From 1963 to 1982, the University of Verona was a branch of the University of Padua. In 1982, the governmental authorities gave Verona the autonomy and statute of its university. Since 1982, the University of Verona has been growing continuously and now has 15 departments: “Biotechnology”, “Business Administration”, “Computer Science”, “Economics”, “Foreign Languages and Literatures”, “Law”, “Life and Reproduction Sciences”, “Medicine”, “Neurological and Movement Sciences”, “Pathology and Diagnostics”, “Philology, Literature, and Linguistics”, “Public Health and Community Medicine”, “Surgery”, “Time, Space, Image, Society”. The University continues to grow with new degree courses activated every year.
The University of Verona can be ideally divided in two main poles: the one in Veronetta (in the center of the city), where the humanistic departments and the Polo Zanotto are to be found (and where CSF will take place), and one in Borgo Roma (in the Southern part of the city), the site of the departments of Medicine, Biotechnology, and Computer Science (where the workshops will take place). However, departments and degree courses are displaced in several other locations spread inside and outside the province: Legnago (VR), Vicenza, Bolzano, Trento, Ala (TN), and Rovereto (TN). The University of Verona offers also several post lauream opportunities: masters, specialisation and professional training courses, medical sciences schools of specialisation, state examinations, and graduate schools.
Funded in 2001, the Department of Computer Science is located in Borgo Roma (South Verona), Strada le Grazie, 15. Its main research labs and offices are located in the buildings called “Ca’ Vignal 2” and “Piramide” in the area of the Medical-Scientific Center of the university. Faculty staff is composed of 53 professors and the department can count on 27 Ph.D. students, 42 Post Docs, 30 research assistants and 7 administrative employees. The department has several research and teaching activities, which represent a continuous of competences from mathematics, through computer science and computer engineering, up to physics. Active research areas are: discrete and application mathematics, theory of computation, machine intelligence, information systems, software engineering and security, applied computing, cyber-physical systems, applied and experimental condensed matter physics. Teaching courses offered by the department are: three bachelor degrees (Computer science, Bioinformatics and Applied mathematics), three master degrees (Computer engineering, Mathematics, Bioinformatics and medical biotechnologies) and two post master courses (Computer game development, Ph.D. in computer science). Finally, the leadership of the department in applied research and the impact on the surrounding area are confirmed by a 3M€ annual budget (in majority composed by collected research funding though European, national and regional programs) and by the five spin-offs created in the last years.